Search This Blog

Friday, October 9, 2009

I do not consider myself an American because…through the eyes of Alisa Levina

Photo Credit: Alisa Levina

*Note: This story was written by Sivan J. Fraser, as told through Alisa Levina's perspective*

Even though I have been an American citizen for the past three years and a resident for about 10, I do not consider myself an American. I am blessed to be here and thankful for the freedom of this country, but I cannot call myself an American.

I was born in Riga, Latvia a former USSR country in 1989. In 1995, my family and I moved to New York City, then back to Russia, and finally to Jacksonville, FL. My heritage, my upbringing, my first language, my taste in food, and all things cultural are Russian.

Looking at me, I doubt you'd be able to tell that I am Russian. I am a white, brown-haired, brown-eyed, 20-year-old girl, whose entire thought process is in a different language.

In reality, I am an immigrant. My family worked very hard to get here. My father worked for the government and was not allowed to leave for a year after I left with my mother, and my grandmother and grandfather on my mom’s side. My father worked under Mikhail Gorbachev for the KGB and, with the fall of the USSR in 1995 and the change of government, it was very risky and dangerous for our family. In Russia, they have a quota of how many people can leave the country—they do not care if it’s a life or death situation, they will not violate their quota.

We honestly packed a suitcase for each person and just left. You cannot really come to America with a lot, I think. It was a very tumultuous time. If we had not left in the exact moment we did, I do not think we could have ever left.

We had family in the United States and they petitioned for us to come, so our voyage here was very much legal and direct. However, we did have an upper hand. Only a certain amount of immigrants were allowed to leave the country and it took my aunt six years after us to immigrate. Coming here was a struggle. My grandmother on my dad’s side stayed behind with my dad, but I came to America within two days with my mom and my grandmother and grandfather from my mom’s side. My life changed drastically.

Our life was wonderful in Russia we had financial freedom, a beautiful house, and a very care-free life, and we had our own chauffeur. My parents came here with nothing and worked hard for what they have. We are currently in a very good-standing in the United States, with no remaining debt. But, when we came here, my mom started off with odd jobs, working in food service and as a teacher. She never had to work a day in her life, so it was very different. My mom worked three jobs, went to school and learned English, and finally got a degree as a computer programmer. My dad currently owns a Russian produce store. It was hard to adjust.

On the SAT, I always marked "other." I think those questionnaires are quite bogus. They ask for your nationality, and, although my skin may be white, it does not make me an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment